As I have mentioned here before, I will be doing a Psychology Reform project and it is this website that you are currently on. One of my goals for this reform project is to create a better diagnostic manual for WOMEN’s mental health—and specifically for women’s mental health— due to differences in history and in experience that makes women a target of wrong diagnosis, mental health stereotypes, and manipulations.
The manual is going to be called: The Mental Assessment & Diagnostic Manual For Women; or, for short, The MAD Manual for Women. The manual is going to be simple enough to allow any woman to understand her own condition in relation to her experiences in this world in order that she may make better decisions in regards to treatment options presented by doctors and in order that she may make better decisions in her personal life. The manual is going to be straightforward enough without “hidden fees”… meaning: there are no manipulations but it will be logical and simple enough in its logic for any woman to follow in understanding. Not only that, but the manual is going to “feel right” in relation to the cause of the “disorder” and in relation to what brought about the mental issue to begin with. Hence, there will be times when you say, “That is the exact feeling that I feel but I just could not put my finger on it this entire time!” And at times, such recognition will be found to be enough of a solution for the entire problem. Meaning: Sometimes a problem is just merely a time consuming issue surrounding understanding where one does not know how to approach an issue when they were not the ones who caused it.
With understanding, many time, comes the solution although we live in a world where it may be impossible for a woman to recover. And that is a good thing in relation to truth. For if you slap me many times, I should not lie to myself and feel good about it. It is great that truth stays and leaves evidence…hence, with abuse, we carry evidence that it has happened. And in goodness, we do not feel like we have been burdened. Yet, the manual will at least make a woman fight for herself and for other women as a minimum recovery option. Meaning: if you have anxiety that is really bad and you cannot fully recover from it, then the minimum option is to fight against what caused it for you and for other women: what caused it for you will be personal and the manual will point you to what personally caused it for you as to also allow you to assess the area of involvement (for example, if you have been abused as a child, you may not be in a state of mind where you feel like fighting for children’s rights and that is fine).
The diagnostic manual will be connected to issues that a woman faces on a global scale as it will tie women from all over the world in relation to a path of recovery without us over stepping our limits as to be ones who lose ourselves in attempting to fight for ourselves. Meaning: we do not want to be ONE woman… we want to be womEn: each her own woman. That is psychologically healthy. For often times, I find myself venturing into the WE zone as I become a symbol of abuse-suffered although I do understand that this is a character of the abuse itself and how it was inflected on all women. Hence, I want this WE to be a healthy WE and not a WE because you and I have been slapped the same way. So in the diagnostic manual, I will be making sure that this WE, which was created by abuse, is transformed into each woman having her own I as a way of uniting us into making the better WE that WE have never had.
There will be two parts to the manual. The first Addresses diagnostics. And the second will be addressing treatment options and solutions. The diagnostic criteria will be an empowerment for women no matter what mental issue she is facing because I am hoping that it brings a sense of “call for justice” instead of a sense of “defeat” that comes when one feels like she has a condition that is outside the scope of her doing something about. The diagnostic criteria will not be stigmatizing as it is made out of that which a woman feels has been silenced within her and silenced by the world against her in order for her to gain her voice back starting with a sense of confidence towards her own feelings and herself. The treatment options will come later—yes: later because we have multiple diagnosis and we need a comprehensive solution that may include women uniting for a cause instead of having each of us alone and lonely in her fight— and these treatment options will have their own Manual called, “Treatments For MAD Women”. The treatment manual is going to be partly a movement where fighting for our rights is going to be presented as a criteria for a solution for many of the disorders. Meaning: “Do not give me medication until you give me my rights specially if my rights are not that difficult for anyone to allow me to have!” will be a solution for some of the disorders. I do understand that “this present moment” is something that is important as well; and so, in the Treatment manual, some disorders will acknowledge the need for medications and the need of other forms of medications not previously given. Furthermore, the Treatment Manual will include just that: Treatment (treating a person well) and how treatment matters past medications given. Treatments For Mad Women will also give a guide that helps women determine important factors in relation to the condition they have.
Here are the expectations that I have for myself in relation to this project:
- I will do my very best NOT to overstep my boundaries in such fashion as to create a KNOWN reaction where a woman gets angrier than she otherwise would, falsely-happier than she otherwise would, etc. (meaning: I will not instigate a reaction).
- I will NOT create a unified sense of mind amongst women where in the future it becomes easier to abuse them on a massive scale. I will try my very best to get to the root and the minimum that a person needs so that she can apply herself and have a chance to be herself. This means that I will NOT venture into any area where a man can say, “If I do this or that, a woman will react this way” in order that women are not manipulated through what I am writing.
- I will NOT give any information that is related to the creation of a status quo mentality. (Not all women are the same).
- I will NOT write anything that I myself would not personally take up with pride and live by with pride.
- I will do this project with all the care and love and seriousness and purity of intent that a woman deserves.
- I will NOT use signs, innuendos, or any “you must read between the lines to get what I am saying..wink wink” without clearly saying that “I am kidding” or “I am speaking in a metaphorical sense” where that would be all I mean by it since this is important for mental health.
- I will constantly reassess what I have written and I will update it and correct myself if I find that I have made a mistake somewhere. Hence, I will not be too proud to admit my mistakes.
- I will NOT over analyze a woman’s mind as to violate her privacy.
- I will NOT condone work related to body-language where a person is able to make conclusions in regards to what a woman wants just by her posture, the way she touches her lips, or any similar gesture that is meant to make it easier for men to “spot the interested woman in the room”.
Okay, those are enough expectations… Without further or due, my next article will be the first “disorder” in the Diagnostic part of the MAD Manual for Women.